Thursday, June 30, 2011

Winding Down Summer Break

I just realized two days ago that our school year starts in 1 1/2 weeks. I've been so busy planning everything out, writing lesson plans, entering work into HST+ and organizing books that I failed to realize the actual start date was quickly approaching. ARGH!

I ordered TallBoy's health/science book last night and will get that planned out when it arrives. I ended up saving $5 in shipping by ordering from the company via Amazon compared to their website. Hopefully it arrives quickly. Amazon is normally pretty quick with shipping.

HorseGirl almost threw a fit when I told her we were starting so soon. She quickly calmed down when I explained it was only for this year since we are moving mid-year. She also found out that her best friend started this week, making our start-date look even better. Her lease days for the horse just changed and she now has two weekdays and one weekend day. This will alleviate one weekday so she isn't out of the house four days each week. She previously rode Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday and had co-op on Thursday. She ended doing most of her schoolwork in the afternoons and evenings.

The biggest change/challenge for this upcoming year is for me to be more involved in TallBoy's schooling. He simply is not able to take his assignment sheet and go off on his own. He is easily distracted and does not take pride in his work. He would be perfectly content to do the bare minimum on assignments and take whatever grade is given. Most of history, science/health, math, and writing will be done together.

I made up my own version of a school planner for him. I made a two-page blank monthly calendar to be printed for each month, followed by weekly two-page spreads for assignments. Each day has 12 lines to write assignment details. I printed out all of the pages going through the end of August. It's nothing fancy, but hopefully by following it, he will learn time management. I plan to sit down with him each Monday morning to fill it out. HorseGirl prefers to have HST+ open on her computer and go off of that.

No comments: